The Ipoh Railway Station which was built in 1917 was designed by the then government Architect, A. B. Hubback, who was also the architect for the a similar looking Kuala Lumpur Railway Station which was completed in 1911. The railway station and the hotel in Ipoh was only completed in 1935 due to a shortage of building materials and rising costs due to World War I. When it was finally opened, Perak state was experiencing a boom in the tin-mining industry.
This was one of the sites for the 1999 Hollywood movie, Anna and the King, staring Jodie Fister and Chow Yun-Fat and directed by Andy Tennant. This movie was an Academy Award nominee in 2000 for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. This site is also a favourite movie site for other Malaysian and foreign productions.
What do you have here:
- A beautiful landscaped garden filled with bougainvilleas, the official flower of Ipoh city
- A specimen of the real Ipoh tree from where the city obtained it's name
- An arched walkway
- A War Memorial to honour Perak war heroes of WW1 (1914-1818) and WW2 (1939-1945)
- The Majestic Station Hotel - their link here.
- In front: The Ipoh Town Hall and Police Contingent Headquarters
- Right: The Post Office
- Left: The Ipoh High Court
This is my entry for That's My World Tuesday Season 2 Episode 33. To view what others have in their world, please visit here.