Quote

Vive l'amour, May Love Live Forever .....
Gracias a la Vida !

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Traditional Chinese Puppet Show For Thursday Challenge



Recently, I chance upon this traditional Chinese puppet show near a Chinese temple in Klang. It was put up during the birthday celebrations, called The Feast of A Thousand Autumns of the resident God of a Taoist temple. A loudspeaker is used and the opera songs and dialogues are recorded and broadcasted. Two puppeters worked behind the curtains to control the movement of the little puppets. The whole session was conducted in Hokkien, the most widely spoken Chinese dialect in Klang.

Shows like these a becoming a rarity now, being replaced by stage performances by modern singers and dancers. Perhaps if you have watched the Jackie Chan movie, the Karate Kid 2010 starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, you will remember a scene where there is a puppet show depicting the chinese Valentine lovers Niulang and Zhinu.

This is my entry for Thursday Challenge, the Photo Theme this week is  "MUSIC" (Singing, Dancing, Playing, Instruments, iPods, Concerts,...). To view what others have for today, click here.

1 comment:

  1. A few years ago I saw a puppet show in my neighbourhood, I think it was during the Hungry Ghost Festival. I was more intrigue in the puppeteers backstage than the show itself since I don't understand the language.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, I have comments!

Thank you very much for visiting my blog.

Autumn Belle

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin