Don't be fooled! The Thean Chun Coffee Shop (天津茶室) is the one next to Kafe Zun Seng Fatt. It does not have an english signboard. This restaurant is located at no. 73 Jalan Bandar Timah, Ipoh Old Town. It is opened in the morning and afternoon only. This place is very congested during lunch time on weekdays and parking is quite a problem. However, nearby there is a public parking operator that charges based on per entry basis.
Thean Chun Coffee Shop is also known as "House of Mirrors" as it has walls that are lined with aged old mirrors. Dining on the wooden tables with marble tops, sitting on the wooden chairs in this well preserved old building will bring you back to colonial days of old Ipoh. Even the pillars are left untouched but white-washed and given a fresh coat of paint. To top it off, the food is extremely delicious and reasonably priced.
What do you have here?
- Very delicious Kai See Hor Fun (Ipoh Koey Teow soup with shreded chicken meat).
- They have newspaper cuttings pasted all over their stall to prove that they have the "Best Ipoh Hor Fun in the Country"
- 'Plain' with no fillings.
- With fillings of turnip and french beans
- For the sauce, you can choose between plain (onion flavoured oil, roasted sesame seeds and soya sauce or with pig skin curry added.
- What I can say is you don't usually find 'satay babi' or 'pork satay' anywhere else in Malaysia.
THEAN CHUN COFFEESHOP
73, Jalan Bandar Timah
30000 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Opened from 9:30am onwards for breakfast and lunch.
Closed on Thursdays
This is my entry for Monochrome Weekend Volume 2 Issue 42. My grateful thanks to Aileni and Dragonstar for hosting this wonderful site. To participate or view the world in monochrome, please click here.