Quote

Vive l'amour, May Love Live Forever .....
Gracias a la Vida !

Friday, November 13, 2009

Let's Go Makan at Buharry Bistro



Jom Makan! In the words of malay, our National Language, it means, Let's go to eat.

If you are unfamiliar with Malaysian food, just click on the links provided to learn more.

Well, eating out is truly an adventure for foodies in Malaysia. There is so much culinary diversity when it comes to food. You name it, we have it. Today, I'll introduce you to some Malaysian food. Please follow me to Restaurant Buharry Nasi Kandar & Bistro that is located on posh Asian Herritage Row. It is my first time there. Just look at their signboard. It says they are having an "Anniversary Treat" promotion where you get:

a) Tea tarik with tosai at RM 1.90
b) Teh tarik with chapati at RM 2.50
c) Teh tarik with mee goreng at RM 3.50 (Fried noodle with tea cost less than USD 1.00!)

I think the above is for breakfast. Teh tarik means 'pulled tea' . You can find this foamy, thick and sweet tea at many side road stalls, restaurants, coffee shops and even posh cafes. Believe me, it is very different from English tea or Chinese tea. This is our authentic Made in Malaysia tea. It is indeed a fun and interesting experience watching the hawkers 'pulling' the teh tarik and 'flipping' the roti canai.

By the way, nasi kandar is a popular northern Malaysian Indian Muslim (Mamak) dish of rice with a mixture of a few types of curries served with meat and vegetable side dishes of your choice. Nasir kandar originated from Penang, our Pearl of the Orient.

This restaurant serves delicious food cooked in Indian Muslim (Mamak) as well as typical malay style. They also have Northern, Southern Indian, Thai tom yam and western food. Fusion, hah?

Some of the their bestsellers are as follows:

1) Biryani rice
2) Curries - beef, mutton, squid, crabs, fish and fish head
Drinks that go with the curries include cool refreshing soft drinks and fruit juices.


This is the skywatch view I enjoyed while sitting on my dining table, eating rice with indian and malay dishes. That's the Kuala Lumpur Tower under very threateninly dark skies with huge nimbus clouds. I expected thunderstorm and lightning. It didn't rain yet when I left. Somehow, I saw the sun shining through, making a silver lining on the dark clouds. And somehow it reminded me of a song that I learnt at Convent School, many many years ago. Our music teacher taught us this song. All of us students sang this song while our teacher played the piano when a much liked and loved missoinary nun, Sister Coleman retired. It was indeed very touching and all of us cried. I remember and have fond memories of her until today. I loved to stare into her kind blue eyes and look at her strange blond hair just visible from under her white scarf. She looked like an angel all dressed in white. Even though I am a not a Christian, I have learnt many things from her. She taught us Bible class at the school chapel but she also told us that we can all believe in our own God in whatever religion we chosed. All religions have good intentions and we should respect other people's beliefs. I truly believe it when she told me that "God loves you." That was how I grew up with friends of many races and from different religious backgrounds, sharing a simple dream of a peaceful, prosperous and united Malaysia.

The Song ........
May the good Lord bless and keep you whether near or far away
May you find that long awaited golden day today
May your troubles all be small ones and your fortunes ten times ten
May the good Lord bless and keep you till we meet again
May you walk with sunlight shining and a bluebird in every tree
May there be a silver lining back of every cloud you see
Fill your dreams with sweet tomorrows never mind what might have been
May the good Lord bless and keep you till we meet again
(May you walk with sunlight shining) and a bluebird in every tree...

Buharry's address is as follows:

22-24 , Jalan Doriasamy
Asian Heritage Row (Road alongside Sheraton Imperial Hotel)
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603 2697 7797
Fax: 603 2697 7798

Opening Hours:
7:00am - 5:00am (Monday - Saturday)
10:30am - Midnight (Sunday)

They accept credit card like MasterCard & Visa. But don't worry, most of the time, you don't need it. I find the prices here to be very reasonable, so I don't need to use a credit card. A decent lunch for 2 cost lest than RM 20. The staff are friendly and service good. I notice that expatriates and foreigners come here to dine too. My friends tell me that sometimes you may even see some local celebrities dining here. They also have a catering section where you can hold your functions and parties on the upper floor.

Until today, I still cannot forget my delicious lunch at Buharry's.





For more Skywatch Friday Season 4 Episode 18 pictures and to participate, please visit the Skywatch site. Skywatch was created by Dot and put in motion by Tom, who made it a huge success. Now it is hosted by Klaus with the help of Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Slyvia.

10 comments:

  1. Must be a very nice place, the Bistro. Beautiful sky shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful view at the the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a popular and affordable eating place. I like the KL Tower shot. Must be nice to eat your meal and just stare at it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that we live in a religious tolerant and multi racial country. We are so rich by this. So much food and very cheap too.

    My son's favourite was Roti Prata.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully captured!

    Take a look at the sky over in South Korea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wah! You did a great job promoting the bistro. Did you get special discount on those yummylicious food?

    Nice writeup! Make me wanna take my supper there A.S.A.P.

    Voted 10 perfect stars!

    Cheers!
    mylo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Japa, Jossie, Marites, Ann, Chubskulit, BSquared, thank you very much for the great comments.

    Mylo, This is my first time at Buharry. They don't even know me. It is tepuk tangan sebelah sehaja. Thank you very much for your comments and vote. I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fav place for Makan in KL is Mamak stall.In term of price..very reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uncleawang, recently I have been unable to visit your blog. Each time I visit, the page 'hang'. I wonder are other visitors experience the same problem with your blog? I sent you an email but there was no reply. I'm sorry I cannot visit you back.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, I have comments!

Thank you very much for visiting my blog.

Autumn Belle

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin